Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Damn Good Advice

(for people with talent)

That's the full title of one of the best books I've come across (thanks to Twitter) by George Lois, who is the original inspiration for the AMC series, Mad Men.

Here's the inside --


More --

"Creativity can solve almost any problem - the creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything."

"Follow your bliss.  That which you love, you must spend your life doing, as passionately and as perfectly as your heart, mind, and instincts allow.  And the sooner you identify that bliss, which surely resides in the soul of most human beings, the greater your chance of a truly successful life."

"Sixty years later, I still get that warmth at being rewarded for doing what I love to do.  Those of us who know that feeling should remind ourselves of our good fortune when we drink our coffee and head to work."

"If you do not work passionately (even furiously) at being the best in the world at what you do, you fail your talent, your destiny, and your god."

"I contend the DNA of talent is stored within the great museums of the world.  Museums are custodians of epiphanies and these epiphanies enter the central nervous system and the deep recesses o the mind . . . My spiritual day of worship is spent each Sunday at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, where I experience, without fail, the shock of the old."

"No matter what stage you are in your career, use your creativity to stand up for our heroes, and protect your culture against the villains."

"Do the right thing so you can be proud of yourself, till the day you die."

"If you're reading this and you're approaching 50 years of age, remember that oak trees do not produce acorns until they are 50 years old."

"You're at your happiest when you're creating."

"I had taught myself that my work had to be fresh, different, seemingly outrageous.  From then on, I understood that nothing is as exciting as an idea."

"A single day without work panics me.  How about you? . . . Attack every day as if it's your last."

"Don't sleep your life away . . . So if you're 20, and you life until you're 80, and if you sleep just one hour less each day -- you could be awake and productive 2.5 years more than your dozing competition!"  Or, have children.  Then you can say goodbye to more than just one hour of regular sleep!

And my favorite bit of advice

"When you meet your mate, don't let her (him) get away.  (Your creative juices will flow forever) . . . Having a mate who understands and contributes mightily to your ethos of life and work is a blessing beyond measure."  To that, I say AMEN!  Kristie, dear, you are the greatest thing that has ever happened me.  I'm blessed every day to see you and love you and be part of our family.






No comments: