Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The Fair

Summer is now officially over.

Well, not really.

But once the fair passes, it seems that summer is all but done.

The stores already have the Back-to-School supplies stands out.

The NFL preseason games kick off in little over three weeks.

Before we know it the fall sports will be having captain's practice.  A few weeks after that, full practices will start.  Then inservice.  Then Labor Day . . .

I'm not complaining, though.  I've been itching to get back to work for a few weeks now.

But the one moment from the summer that seems to mark the real transition for us is the fair.

Cash and Kenzie had a blast while Kris and I were worn out.

I rode on more rides, though, than I have in quite some time.

First we all went on the ferris wheel.  This didn't start things off on the right foot as I have a fear of heights that only gets worse with age.  On top of that, as soon as we got on, they stopped us at the very top to add more people on.

From where we were sitting I spied the dreaded Super Shot.

Side story - I rode this once four years ago with Kenzie.  The first time wasn't so bad.  Well, the ride to the top was agonizingly slow.  And the sudden drop two stories down was over in a second.  But the fact that Kenzie wanted to go on it a second time - immediately after the first - was just too much. I did concede, later, though to go on it with her.  And it was even worse than the first time.  I haven't been on it since last year when I went on it with Kris.  And that was the worst of all.  The ride to the top takes a full 60 seconds (I timed them this year) while the drop only takes a few seconds.  But that slow ride to the top is the worst.

I gulped as I watched the group of fair goers ascend to the top of the Super Shot from where we were on the ferris wheel.  Then there was that sickening moment where you were just suspended at the top before you plummet down . . .

I couldn't do it.  Cash really wanted to go on it, but there was no way I could do it.  My palms were getting even sweatier as I looked at it from atop the ferris wheel.

Luckily, Kris took pity on me and agreed to go on it with Cash if I went on the other rides, which I gladly did.

Kenzie and I did the Himalaya.  Then we did the Sizzler.  Then Cash and Kenzie and I did the Sizzler a second time.  Then we did Tilt-a-Whirl. Then Cash and I did the Himalaya.

I was beat.

But it was all worth it.  I'd have even done the Air Maxx instead of the Super Shot.


Everyone set to tackle the fair!!




The fools!  Kris even got Kenzie to join them on this one.


They're about to lift off.  I was so thankful to have my feet on the ground.


Cash was loving it.


Kris waiting for that inevitable sickening click and then the drop.


So glad I wasn't up there.  Cash loved it.  


Just about to drop.


The after effects.  Kris's pose says it all!  Cash had this sheer look of terror once the ride stopped at the bottom.  He looked like he was going to cry or throw up.  Then a smile spread across his face and his eyes had a gleeful sparkle in them.  "Let's go again!" he said and scampered around to try it again.  


Kenzie waiting in line to go on the Himalaya all by herself!



"Uncle" Barb would be proud.  Kenzie was all about making sure the safety devices and gear were working properly and that was she was safely strapped in.


Oh ye of little faith.  She wasn't about to trust the carny to get her strapped in safely.


Despite the warm day, Cash was a trooper.  Here is Kris' back pack loaded up with our water, sunglasses, and far too many stuffed animals we had to pay for (whatever happened to winning them the old fashioned away instead of having to buy them from the Carnies?  Some even said, "Three dollars gets you a prize from the bucket, five gets you on from the wall, and twenty gets you a chance at one on top . . . but really they meant sixty dollars after all their quick talk!)

No comments: