Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Teaching Tip #84





Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #84

One of the best summer reads for me last summer was George Corous’ The Innovator’s Mindset.  Throughout the book he has questions for discussion.  I’ll use some here for my teaching tips.

What has changed in our world today that not only makes innovation easier to do, but is also necessary for our students?

Social media and instant connection.

I know I’m still in the minority here, but social media and using cell phones has transformed how I teach and my effectiveness.
Literally, on a given school day, I will have a student text me at 4:00 about an assignment.  I’ll harass them some about being a nerd and doing their homework in the afternoon.  Then they’ll text me that they have to do it then because they work from 5-11 at Laundry Land.  Then I feel like an idiot.  Then I’ll get a text from another student who is on the bus to an away game looking for some clarification on a question.  Then I’ll get one from a student who is doing their homework at 7 (a traditional time for me when I was in school).  Finally, around 10:30 I’ll get two more texts from students coming home on the bus.

Students are learning all the time.  Why shouldn’t I do my best to be there for them?

In fact, that’s one of the things students love most about my classes.  Last spring Kora asked me what I was giving up for Lent.

“My cell phone in the afternoons, “ I said.  “I’m going to come home and put it in a drawer and stay off it all day.”

“But what about your students???? What if students have questions?” Kora asked, alarmed.

“My wife already brought that up,” I said.  “I’ll just check it and text back.  But I will be off an apps and off of social media in the evenings.”

But what about your students?  I love that Kora thought of that right away.


No comments: