Thursday, February 08, 2018

Teaching Tip #100


Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #100

Do you have an innovator’s mindset?  Here are the 8 characteristics of the innovator’s mindset.

1.  Empathetic

Do you remember what it was like to be the age of your students?  Was your subject the #1 priority in your life back then?

Probably not.

Thus, have some empathy for students.

That doesn’t mean cut them a break.  It just means try to look at your class from their perspective.  This leads – if done correctly – for us to try and make our learning more engaging.

Now engaging means many things.  I can’t watch a lively debate and be totally engaged.  I can watch a slick Youtube video and be totally engaged.  I can read an article in Time and be totally engaged.

Engagement doesn’t always mean entertainment.

One of my former students gave me incredibly high praise when she thanked me for teaching her and – in her words – “for never making any of it boring.”

That’s as good as it gest for me.


No comments: